What can I do if a company is not responding to my request?
We're taking appropriate steps to address any organisations that are not responding. Most companies do want to provide answers, but have to adapt to how they deal with the legally valid requests which have been issued via our platform.
We’re now engaging with these organisations to educate them about what we’re doing at Tap, so that future responses can come to you faster.
Here's a few steps you can take to speed things up:
- Some organisations require proof of ID before using the service; be sure to verify your email and mobile number in-app.
- You can now upload photo ID (such as a driving licence) or verification card within the app. These are still sent to organisations using our end-to-end encrypted channel and we don't store these anywhere.
- If after 7 days you don’t receive a response you can send a friendly nudge via an email from within the app. You can do this by going into your data locker, into the request and using the send email button. Learn more.
- If after 30 days you don’t receive a response, you can now leave 1-5 star rating with a comment from within the app. Learn more.
- You can also take to social media and shout out to companies who are dragging their heels; be sure to @tapmydata and together we’ll bring them into the 21st century
- In extreme cases, you may wish to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO have a step-by-step process to do this.